Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Dirty Dozen


I found a list of the top twelve fruits/veggies you should buy organic. At foodnews.org they call them the "dirty dozen" top twelve with the highest pesticide content.
buy these organic as often as possible
1. peach
2. apple
3. bell pepper
4. celery
5. nectarine
6. strawberries
7. cherries
8. kale
9. lettuce
10. grapes (imported)
11. carrot
12. pear

Of course this list is also the fruits and veggies i eat the most of! The article said that people who eat the top 12 more often cosume an average of 10 pesticides a day! I know that this can get pricey, but in my store the apples and carrots barely have much of a price difference in the organic and non-organic.

I'm not sure why the grapes were listed as "imported"
I was a little surprised that tomatoes were not on the list. i imagined that they would have a lot of chemicals on them.
Tomatoes, along with avocados were on the top 15 of lowest in pesticides..... which made me happy! I love my avocados!!!


1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, thanks for posting this, very interesting. I buy a lot on the list too, but I'm happy to hear tomatoes and avocados aren't bad!

    ReplyDelete